Mehak is the Deputy Head Student at GSIS, in the English International Stream. She shares with us her experience at GSIS and her plans for after graduation.

Current Year Group: Year 12 ESD

Years at GSIS: 7 years

Could you introduce yourself a bit (background & year/role at GSIS)?

My name is Mehak and I am in Year 12. I have spent the last 16 years of my life in Hong Kong. I joined German Swiss in Year 6, and I am currently Deputy Head Student, Head Prefect and Senior House Captain.

Tell us about your experience being a student at GSIS. What do you like most about the school?

My experience at GSIS has been incredible. I remember when I moved schools, it was daunting, however, the teachers and students at GSIS made it an easier transition. I have always felt included and comfortable in the school environment, and my experience has been enlightening and memorable. I have learned so much and have been able to develop and nurture my skills in such a supportive community.

What will you miss most about being a student at GSIS?

I think this year has really put into perspective how life would be without meeting people and interacting with other students. For me, I have realised that I have created such beautiful memories at this school; I will miss my friends and teachers. Some people in this school have grown with me over the last few years: it will be incredibly hard to part ways with those people.

You will soon enter your final year at GSIS. How do you feel about graduating from highschool?

I think graduating High School will be a huge milestone in my life. I am scared to leave the comfort of GSIS, and I am sad that I will have to part ways with friends and say my goodbyes to teachers, but I am excited to enter a new stage of my life and am also proud of my achievements. I am ready to take on the world!

What are you looking forward to the most about becoming a GSIS Alumni?

I am looking forward to being able to share my experiences and advice with students about IB information and how to deal with the stress during Y11 and Y12. These are the two final crucial years, and I think I really benefited from hearing other graduated students’ experiences.

What are your plans after graduation?

Currently, I am planning to apply to both the UK and US to do an undergraduate course in biological sciences. As a science enthusiast, I am excited to nurture my passion in research in biology.

How have you benefited from the GSIS Alumni community?

The school university counsellors facilitated a discussion where we were able to communicate with a few GSIS alumni and hear about their experiences applying to college and in college. When they discussed their first-hand experiences, it was extremely helpful as I was able to gain perspective about where to apply for university and the general process that will take place in the next few months.

This year we are focusing on offering students more opportunities to connect with GSIS Alumni. This will include a GSIS University Mentoring Club, which will allow current students to connect with alumni at their chosen universities, as well as an internship programme. How beneficial will it be for you to be able to connect with alumni who can help you with university and career advice? What advice would you be interested in receiving?

As a student in year 12, I can’t explain the mental rollercoaster my mind has withstood over the past few months, as I tried to build my CV and shortlist colleges. Our university counsellors are amazing and very insightful, however, I think it would be very useful to talk to student alumni! I would ask them about their first-hand experience at college, the leap from GSIS to college, and how to create an effective CV to impress universities.

Which teacher has had the greatest impact on you and what would be your message to them before you graduate?

All teachers have made a huge impact on me, and I have been lucky to have been taught by so many teachers that have encouraged and supported me. A teacher that has really been an inspiration to me is Ms. Leung. I want to thank her for always motivating and pushing me to reach my potential.

Jonas is the Deputy Head Student at GSIS, in the German International Stream. He shares with us his experience at GSIS and his plans for after graduation.

Current Year Group: K11, GSD

Years at GSIS: 5

I grew up in Germany and moved to Hong Kong 5 years ago. Being a GSD head student is my first big role at GSIS.

My time at GSIS has been great. I like the fact that having small classes makes it possible for the teachers to be more focused on the individual person. I also enjoy the many ECAs and events taking place at GSIS. Additionally, the people at GSIS are very welcoming and I immediately felt at home.

Obviously, I'll miss my friends. After knowing each other for several years it is hard to go separate ways. I'll also miss the teachers and the funny moments we had at school.

You will soon enter your final year at GSIS. How do you feel about graduating from high school?

Nervous but excited. Starting a whole new chapter of your life comes with many challenges, but I'm looking forward to the new experiences that lie ahead.

I look forward to passing on my experience and giving advice to students.

What are your plans after graduation?

I'll either stay in Hong Kong and take part in Business college or move back to Germany to go to university.

I haven't benefited from the Alumni community so far, but I know many people who have.

This year we are focussing on offering students more opportunities to connect with GSIS Alumni. This will include a GSIS University Mentoring Club, which will allow current students to connect with alumni at their chosen universities, as well as an internship program. How beneficial will it be for you to be able to connect with alumni who can help you with university and career advice? What advice would you be interested in receiving?

Alumni could help me pick out a university, by passing on their personal experience. Usually, you can only read about universities online and this can make it hard to get an idea of what a certain University is like. Getting Information from someone who actually went to a university you're interested in can help with that. Alumni could also help me choose the right career path.

With many good teachers who had a positive impact on my life, it is hard to decide who made the greatest impact. But probably the most influential teacher is our class teacher Herr Schlichting. The way he is fascinated by his own subjects inspires us and makes the lessons more fun. Apart from that, he also teaches us important life lessons and gives us personal advice for our career path.