Head Students Jenna and Sienna share with us their plans for after graduation, what they will miss most about being a student at GSIS and what they are looking forward to once they become GSIS Alumni...

Jenna

Current Year Group:

Y13, ESD

Years at GSIS:

11

Could you introduce yourself a bit (background & year/role at GSIS)?

I joined GSIS halfway through Y2 and am this year’s ESD Head Student. I am also a prefect and debate co-captain.

When will you be graduating from GSIS?

May 2021

How has your schooling experience been at GSIS?

My time at GSIS has been amazing and I think our school’s strengths lie in its people. Our school’s tight-knit student body has been a wonderful source of support, especially during IB, and I really appreciate the fact that our teachers are so invested in our success.

What will you miss most about being a student at GSIS?

I will definitely miss my friends and teachers the most. Having been here for so long, I feel like GSIS is a second home and it will be strange not seeing them every day.

What are you looking forward to the most about becoming a GSIS Alumni?

I’m looking forward to coming back and being able to share my advice with students, whether that be about IB, university applications, or beyond.

What are your plans after graduation?

Although I have yet to formally commit to a school, I will be attending university in the US. I’m currently planning on studying political science, but am open to changing my major once I get there.

How have you benefited from the GSIS Alumni community?

GSIS Alumni were extremely helpful during the university application process. Our school’s guidance counsellors arranged sessions where alumni came in to speak to us and answer our questions. Being able to hear reflections from someone who knew our school intimately and had just gone through the same process helped me see the bigger picture and not get too wrapped up in my own anxieties.

This year we are planning to launch the GSIS University Mentoring Club, which will allow current students to connect with alumni at their chosen universities. As a soon to be graduate, how beneficial will it be for you to be able to connect with alumni who are currently attending or attended your chosen University? What advice would you want to ask them?

It would be very useful to be able to speak with alumni at my chosen university. Beyond the usual questions about social life, professors, and classes, I would want to ask them about the transition from specifically Hong Kong and GSIS to that university, both culturally and academically.

Will we be seeing you at alumni/school events such as the Christmas Bazaar, networking events and reunions?

Absolutely! The Christmas Bazaar is one of my favourite school traditions and I plan on keeping in touch with as many classmates as I can. It would be great to see them at reunions and hear about all the amazing things going on in their lives.

Which teacher has had the greatest impact on you and what would be your message to them before you graduate?

While I’ve had the pleasure of being taught by so many incredible people, two who stand out to me are Mrs Butchart and Ms Culican. I want to thank Mrs Butchart not just for being a fantastic English teacher, but for also being such a dedicated debate coordinator and supporting my own growth, as well as the younger students we now coach together. For Ms Culican, I think I speak for the entire class when I thank you for always going above and beyond to help us make the art that we feel connected to, despite our constant procrastination. My time at GSIS would not have been the same without all the time and energy both teachers have given their students.

b6da7f06c39467e5

Sienna

c1b8133e78e0ed9a

Current Year Group:

K12, GSD

Years at GSIS:

Since Kindergarten

My name is Sienna and I’m in K12. I was born and raised in Hong Kong and I have been at GSIS since Kindergarten. I’m currently the GSD headstudent, a prefect and GMA chairperson.

When will you be graduating from GSIS?

I will be graduating this May.

So far it has been incredibly amazing and memorable. The lessons are always fun thanks to my class and the teachers. I learned a lot from our teachers, not only regarding our subjects but life lessons as well and being involved in the different committees and ECAs has also taught me about leadership and working together as a team. I’ve also made many memories and new friends at events like the Christmas Bazaar or concerts, which made my schooling experience even better.

I’ll definitely miss my friends. My class is like a family and we are all very close. Most of us have known each other for many years so it will be hard to part ways. I will also miss the teachers and the funny and memorable moments in class.

I’m definitely looking forward to connecting and talking to other alumni and being able to help give advice to students.

What are your plans after graduation?

I’m planning on studying psychology. I’ve applied to the University of Maastricht already and I will also apply to the University in Heidelberg and a few Hochschulen there as well, but the applications aren’t until June.

I haven’t exactly benefited from the alumni community yet, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

It would be very helpful to be able to be in contact with alumni who attended or are currently attending my chosen university. I would ask them for advice on how they adapted to living in a new city and country, since moving from Hong Kong to a small city like Heidelberg is a big change.

Of course! GSIS is a big part of my life and I am definitely planning on coming back to visit, especially for the Christmas bazaar!

There are many teachers who have had a great impact on me and I’d like to say thank you to all of them, not only for teaching us but also for supporting us and making school much more fun. But I’d like to especially say thank you to our class teacher Herr Leitner. Not only is he a great teacher but he’s also made the effort to get to know each and everyone of us and he’s helped us when needed and helped me personally as well.