New Teacher Spotlight: Franziska Pöschl

Could you introduce yourself a bit (background & role at GSIS)?

My name is Franziska Pöschl and I’m originally from Munich but lived in Cambridge, UK for the last five years. I moved to Hong Kong because it’s my husband’s hometown and we wanted to be closer to family. I'm a kindergarten teacher in the German International Stream at GSIS. As kindergarten teachers, we teach everything – and I do exactly that in German. My class is bilingual, so I only speak German with my students while my co-teacher speaks only English.

We are very excited to have you join our GSIS community. What are you looking forward to the most this year?

I am looking forward most to seeing how the German proficiency of my students develops over the year. With kindergarten children, it usually takes them little time to pick up some words and I can already hear more German in my classroom. I am excited to work together with my fantastic colleagues to make sure every child is reaching their full potential.

Can you tell us more about your previous working experience?

I have worked in different kindergartens and nurseries in and around Munich and was the deputy head of a bilingual kindergarten and nursery in my last job there. While studying in the UK, I worked for a Wing Chun Club as a martial arts kids instructor mainly at a primary school for their after-school activities.

Where did you grow up and how was your schooling experience?

I grew up in Munich, Germany. I attended public schools until year 10, then went to a small private school in the city centre of Munich and spent some time abroad at a boarding school in St. Andrews in Scotland. I did my teaching course in Munich and found my passion for early years education, planting the foundation for children to be curious, enjoy learning and going to school. During my time in the UK, I went back to school as a student myself and got a Business Management and Leadership degree from Coventry University, which helped me improve my leadership skills in and outside the classroom as well as my English proficiency.

Our community at GSIS is very excited to meet you. Do you have any words to share with them?

I’m excited to meet you all, too. Thank you for the lovely welcome, I enjoy my new life in Hong Kong as well as being back at teaching kindergarten a lot. Let’s make this year a great one with lots of joyful moments!