Student Spotlight: Head Students Sebastian and Vincent

Sebastian - Head Student K12

Could you introduce yourself a bit (background etc)?

I was born in Germany and have lived in Tunis, Frankfurt, Manila and Hong Kong. I enjoy playing football and I'm part of the school football team.

What does it mean to be a Head Student at GSIS and what do you have to do?

It means dedicating several hours a month towards the future prosperity of the school. This includes not only resolving disputes between the student body and the administration but also trying to turn GSIS into a more welcoming place.

Tell us about your experience being a student at GSIS. What do you like most about the school?

I have had a pretty good experience, as it contains a quite welcoming environment.

Which teacher has had the greatest impact on you?

Several teachers in this school have greatly influenced me in school and turned me into a better individual. Therefore, I believe it would be unfair if I could only mention one.

You are now in your final year at GSIS. How do you feel about graduating?

I feel excited, as well as anxious.

What are you looking forward to the most about your final year at GSIS?

Getting accepted into a good university.

What are your plans after graduation?

I wish to study computer science.

Vincent - Head Student Y13

My name is Vincent and I’m a Year 13 Student. I joined GSIS in year 6 and this school year I am the Head Student. Outside of school I am a show jumper on the Hong Kong junior equestrian team.

I feel very honoured to be a Head Student at GSIS, as it shows that my peers trust me with the responsibilities that come along with this important role. As Head Students we try to look for various areas of Student’s lives at GSIS that could be improved and try to come up with reasonable solutions. We have the opportunity to discuss these ideas with senior management and the trust teachers in order to try and implement them.

My favourite part about being a student at GSIS is the great environment which the school provides. The school is very academic and forces you to challenge yourself in the classroom, yet I still have lots of friends who I have funny and interesting discussions with. This balance makes going to school very enjoyable for me.

I think I’m very lucky to have lots of good teachers so it is difficult to pick one in particular. They are all very approachable for example when I need help understanding a concept. Throughout my time at GSIS, my teachers have assisted me to improve intellectually in my various subjects, while allowing me to become more confident.

I look forward to moving on to the next chapter of my life and seeing what the future holds. However, having been at GSIS since primary school, I will definitely miss this tight knit community.

As head student, I look forward to trying to make this a year filled with positive change for our school. In terms of academics, I have put a lot of effort into the IB course so far, so I look forward to finishing the final few months to the best of my abilities.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduating I hope to study computer science at university. In the future I hope to contribute to the technology industry in meaningful ways.